We love lemon meringue pie so decided to turn one of our favourite desserts into cupcakes. We made our own lemon curd, however if its easier just buy your own. In addition we are lucky enough to own a blow torch so it made finishing off these cupcakes a lot easier. You can quickly cook the meringue in the oven, however we are unsure how reliable this is.
These cakes do take some time to make and there are quite a few steps to follow. Make sure you allow yourself enough time for the cakes to cool before putting the meringue on top. Even though they do take a while they are totally worth it and will leave everyone wanting to go back for more!
110g caster suagr
110g unsalted butter
110g self raising flour
1tsp baking powder
dash vanilla essence
100g caster sugar
2tbsp corn flour
zest from 2 lemons
juice from 3 lemons
juice 1 orange
3 egg yolk
4 egg white
200g caster sugar
1) With an electric hand mixer or free standing mixer beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
2) Add the eggs with a tsp of the flour and mix
3) Add the remaining flour, baking powder and vanilla and beat together
4) Spoon the mixture into 12 cupcake cases and cook in the over for 12 minutes at 180C
Lemon curd method:
1) Put the cornflour, sugar and lemon zest in a saucepan and on a low heat gradually stir in the lemon juice.
2) Make the orange juice up to 200ml with water and gradually add this to the pan stirring constantly. Cook over a medium heat until the mixture thickens stirring until you have a smooth mixture.
3) When the mixture bubbles remove from the heat and add the cubed butter until it melts
4) Beat the egg yolks and whole egg together then stir into the pan. Return to the heat and stir vigorously until the mixture thickens and plops off the spoon then remove from the heat
Prepare the cake:
1) Once the cakes have cooled use an apple corer to take out the centre of the cupcake. You may need to use a knife to get rid of a little more cake
2) Fill the cake with the lemon curd and then put the cake you have removed back on top of the curd
1) Put the egg whites into a large mixing bowl and whisk until soft peaks
2) Add half the sugar a spoonful at a time whilst still whisking.
3) Whisk in the cornflour
4) Add the rest of the sugar a spoonful at a time and whisk until stiff
Prepare the topping:
1) Pipe the meringue onto the top of the cake or use a spoon
2) With a blow torch lightly cook/toast the meringue until golden
These are certainly a showstopper and the lemon curd in the middle a nice surprise for everyone enjoying the cupcake.
We hope you enjoy making and eating these as much as we did – don’t forget to share your recipes with us!