Who doesn’t LOVE pop tarts – they may be American but we love them even if they are super naughty! We decided to try and make our own pop tarts and didn’t realise how easy they are to make – think we will be making them again for sure!
We cannot wait to experiment with lots of different fillings both sweet and savory. We made these one Friday evening when we wanted to bake but didn’t have much time. These would be the perfect snack for a girlie movie night we will definitely be making them for our friends soon.
175g plain flour
100g cold butter
1 tbsp icing sugar
1 egg yolk
Jar good quality raspberry jam
1) Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree and butter and line with grease proof paper a baking tray
2) Put all the ingredients for the pastry in a food processor and pulse until the ingredients come together (you make need to finish with your hands)
3) Pour onto a flour surface and roll out the dough until 1mm thick.
4) Cut our rectangular shapes and place on a a greased baking tray. Spoon a generous amount of jam on top of the pastry.
5)Put another rectangle of pastry on top of the jam and then press down with a fork all around the edge
6) Cook for 15-20 minutes until golden brown, do not worry if the jam leaks out slightly and then leave to cool
7) Make up some icing as instructed on the box and ice the top of the tarts and then cover with the sprinkles
Of course you could experiment with other fillings we are certainly going to do, so make sure you check back here for more recipes soon!